Miss Blanche Charles
Blanche Charles Elementary School started its inception in 1986 on the Mains Elementary School grounds. There were five teachers that taught during this first year at this school site. On the following school year, 1986-87 a new site had been established on Kloke Rd. This site was established with placement of portable classrooms. A name for the school needed to be agreed upon. Many names had come across the School Board table. Finally, with the support of the present school's staff and students the name of Miss Blanche Charles was accepted. Also, the students felt that they needed to have a mascot for their new school. They decided on the "Dolphins". They felt that a dolphin was intelligent and family oriented.
Blanche Charles was at this site from 1987 to 1997. For ten years there was planning for the new permanent school. The teachers and students had much input in the design of the new school. They felt that since Miss Charles taught a lot about history, especially about the missions it would be appropriate to build the school in a California Mission design.
Miss Blanche Charles was a teacher in the Calexico Unified School District for 36 years, from 1958 to 1994. She is considered a highly effective and valued teacher in our district. Most of her students will comment that they learned a lot in her classroom. Some commented that she encouraged high values and respect for themselves and others. One student mentioned "she would use her china when they had parties and no one ate until everyone was served". Also, students always greeted anyone that entered the classroom. We are very honored to have our school named after such a dedicated, most valued teacher in Calexico. We hope to instill the same values in our students and continue the legacy that Miss Blanche Charles bestowed on us.